trusting . resting . following

Driving in the Suburbs

August 10, 2013
The suburb of Nyasaka, up in one of the many hills surrounding Mwanza.
Roads are constantly eroding

Making my own road

I taught a vbs at one of our church plants in the "suburbs" of Mwanza this week.  Pastor Daudi lives in "Nyasaka B" (the area is bursting with people and new houses so they had to split Nyasaka into 2 sections, 'A' and 'B')

Lest you hear "city suburb" and mistakenly think of a developed country, I thought I'd share a few pictures. :-)

In the middle of the rainy season, I don't even attempt to drive up to the church.  Even this week I had planned to park my car at a little hotel and walk the last 25 minutes each day, but the pastor assured me the road was "fixed."  :-)

At one section of the road, was a short very steep step up.  I tried three different times, but the car just spun out in the dust.  So I turned around and found an another way, sort of making my own road.


Me in my Rav4 facing our fears. :-)

This stream crossing can be a scary crossing in the rainy season, but in the dry there's hardly any water left!  Even though just a puddle, it was a busy place.  Every day this week people were collecting water, or washing clothes, or like this guy- washing his motorcycle.


Almost at the very top of the hill is Nazareth Baptist Church.  The pastor's house is the first building, where he and his wife and four children have lived since 1995, before they were saved.  In the last few years Daudi has slowly been building a church in his "backyard."

I'm not a gutsy driver, never really understood why my dad and brothers loved to go four-wheeling through the rocky mountains when we were kids.  Driving on smooth paved roads in a well-maintained car is much more appealing to this girl. To illustrate- last year when my car got stuck right here, near pastor Daudi's house- I was fighting back tears.  I can't seem to conquer the fears and enjoy the adventure of off-roading like other people.

So... even more reason to praise and glorify my Savior for a personal victory this week:  I didn't let my hesitancy of driving through the suburbs of Mwanza keep me from the opportunity to teach and love on some kids for a week. :-)  Thank you, Jesus!









Post Comment
Post a Comment