trusting . resting . following

subjunctives and noun classes

February 2, 2013
Back in the saddle- I mean classroom- again.  

A friend and I signed up for a Swahili refresher course.  One week down, two weeks to go of reviewing grammar, learning new vocab- including discussing denotative and connotative meanings, and exploring differences in culture.

Did you know that in Swahili there are eleven instances that require the subjunctive form of the verb including:  requests, imperatives, and various kinds of subordinate clauses?  Also in the middle of random discussions with our teacher, Moshi, I’ve discovered some of my bad habits, for example: I use the “ko” indefinite relative when many times I should be using the “po” definite relative.  Also I put “barabara” in the ji/ma class rather than the N class.

If you happen to be a student and your English class seems like a waste of time, take heart!  If you ever have to learn a foreign language in the future, understanding English grammar WELL helps tons!!  All through junior high and high school, English grammar was quite the mystery to me.  I’m so thankful for the patient teachers I had in college, and that the college I went to placed a high value on grammar as well as composition.  Who knew how those miserable nights laboring over grammar exercises in my dorm room would help me live and serve in Tanzania!

I’ve also given Moshi some of my translation work for her to correct.  I’m eager to get some feedback there as well.

The Iringa Swahili School is located outside of Iringa, a small town in south east Tanzania.  Beth and I flew to Dar and then the next day took a 7hr bus ride to get here.  It’s fun to see a different part of the country, and it’s so much cooler!  We’re up at about 4,000ft altitude, and it’s rained 5 out of the 7 days we’ve been here.  One morning I sat in our classroom hut (that does have glass windows but no doors and tons of cracks for the wind to flow in) with four layers on- two shirts, a sweatshirt and a jacket.  It was probably only about 60-65 degrees, but for here that is FREEZING!

Well, I’m off to write more vocab flash cards. :-)
2 comments on "subjunctives and noun classes"
  1. Hey :) I came across your blog not too long ago and I enjoy hearing what's going on there. This post caught my attention because I recently did a blog post on our family blog and started it out the exact same way :) School just has that effect on all of us, I guess!

    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lisa,
    Been praying for you...isn't learning fun?? I can't remember all the "grammar" things I learnt at school. You and all missionaries that take the time to learn a new language are doing a great thing.
    Thought you might like to see my blog also!!
    http://seasonsforsusan.blogspot.com/
    I've more post in the last week than all of last year.
    We've settled back into our routines here after our time with the Brouwers, yourself and the others.
    God bless,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete