trusting . resting . following

VBS at Tumaini

January 4, 2013


Singing time in the kibanda.
“STOP and let me tell you what the Lord has done for me…”  
 
Fifty kids, singing those good 'ol CEF songs.  Fun times! :-)

The week before Christmas I joined the staff and missionaries of an orphanage nearby to teach a week-long VBS.  Every afternoon from 2-6pm we played games, did crafts, sang, and taught a Bible lesson and missionary story.  

Youngest group.
There were several firsts for me this week.  All the children at Tumaini (Swahili for "hope") Children’s Home are attending an English-medium elementary school in town.   And it amazes me how much English they know!  What did that mean for me?  I got to pull out a bunch of English song visuals!  The first time in the four years I’ve been here.  :-) I also taught the Bible each day in English (and mixed Swahili in now and then to make sure we were on the same page.)

Bible time with the oldest group.
Tumaini also has some very nice buildings.  We had an indoor classroom for Bible time.  And what does that mean?  I got to use flannel graph without worry about pieces blowing away!  ...another first for me here in TZ. 

And finally, I wasn't the only white face teaching.  Not technically a "first" but definitely a rare experience to partner with other missionary teachers.  Fun times!

Missionary story- Ringu- with Tiffany (a 6mo volunteer at Tumaini)

Introducing our theme for the day... compassion.
 Our theme for the week was GIVING.  What God has given us and what we can give to others.  We talked about how God has not only given us salvation but everything we need to live in a way that pleases him.  We talked about what it means to be a true friend, how kids can be a blessing to adults, and that the greatest gift we can give back to God is our own lives.
Zena, Minza, Wini, and Tedi checking out my flannel graph.
Beth, administrator at Tumaini, and craft expert!


Games with Abeli


















I had SUCH a good time getting to know these precious kids, and am praying that God would continue to draw each one to Himself.  Who knows what GREAT things He has prepared for them!





Post Comment
Post a Comment