trusting . resting . following

Safe or Good?

May 20, 2012

Do you know that quote about Aslan in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe...
"Is he—quite safe?" (Lucy asked.)
"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver [...] "Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you." 
My King is not always safe, but He is always good.

The past few weeks I've been rediscovering and treasuring verses on joy and rejoicing.  This passage from Habakkuk struck me anew and I wrote it on a 3x5 card and just delighted in its truth... that is until Wednesday.  Be forewarned... this is not a "safe" passage of scripture....
Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labor of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places...  Hab. 3:17-19
You meditate on verses like these and who knows what will fall apart!  Allow me to illustrate by giving you a summary of the last few days:

*Wed am- my outdoor water spigot wouldn't shut off.  My water was off for 5 hours until a repairman could come replace the spigot.

*Thurs- stressful day starting with teaching preschool (and all the normal chaos that that involves), lunch with a friend, then church visitation in Igoma.  The day was full and good, but exhausting.  Come home to find my worker was sick and had to go home early, leaving extra work for me to get done in time for guests the next day... including baking cookies.  7:30 pm the lights go out.  Nothing abnormal there, but then I notice ALL my neighbors still have their electricity.  No way to bake cookies.  Kind of glad... went to bed exhausted.

*Friday am- chase down some repairmen to come figure out what's wrong.  I have give them a ride to my house.  They search out the problem, find where 2 wires were touching that should not be touching, simple repair... haggle over the fee.  Whew!!  Electricity back on.  (Still got my cookies baked before my guests came!)

It's easy to rejoice in the Lord on when everything is going great, but God wants me to "JOY in the GOD of my SALVATION" even in the messiness of today.  More than that, He wants me to "REJOICE in the LORD" when absolutely everything falls apart, when there's no fruit on the vine and no cattle in the stalls.  Honestly, I've never been that low in my life.  I've always had enough food to eat.  I just had utilities issues this week, and I still struggled to rejoice.

My King may not be safe... sometimes He lets me struggle and grope along, but that is because my King is good.  Always.  And therein I REJOICE.  He gives me challenges to stretch and strengthen me.  How else would I grow?

I also JOY in the fact that when I'm struggling and groping along, trying to rejoice and not doing so well... my God still loves me.  My God rejoices in me!
The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.  Zeph. 3:17




1 comment on "Safe or Good?"
  1. Hello! My 11yo daughter pulled your prayer card at GBC and showed it to me. This morning she sent you and email and we plunked along until we found your blog.

    That passage in the LWW is one of my all time favorites...He is not safe, but He is so very good!

    ReplyDelete