trusting . resting . following

Lessons from a Mirror

March 13, 2012
I got a side mirror stolen out of my car on Friday.  I left the car parked to get some errands done, and when I returned a few hours later the mirror was gone.  What is it about getting robbed that is so offensive, so personal, so violating? 


The relatively safe, civil culture I come from did NOT prepare me well for the rough and tumble life of this new culture.  I say petty thieves just need to get a life!  get a job

But to be honest, I have no idea who stole my mirror (they'll probably only get 3 or 4 bucks for it).  A street kid or an adult?  What pushed them to the life they now live?  If a thief gets caught here they might end up in jail (and like NO jail in the states), or if the police don't arrive in time, mobs are very ready to set the thief on fire and watch him burn to death right there on the spot.  What kind of darkness must someone live in to be willing to risk that?

It's been 5 days now and my anger has cooled. (Believe me, this would have been a very different post if I had written it the night it happened!) I'm trying to listen and obey Christ's command to "pray for them which despitefully use you."

For me, it's not just the fear of being robbed again, but the fear of what they will do to me next.  Living here I'm learning something about myself: security is a big thing for me.  I want very much to feel SAFE and SECURE.  Last night I curled up in bed and just asked God to encircle me in His big, safe arms. 

Psa 91:4  He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.





2 comments on "Lessons from a Mirror"
  1. Lisa shared this on my FB (faith book). May God use this story to his glory in those who read it.

    ReplyDelete