trusting . resting . following

Preschool Fun

February 21, 2012

“Close your eyes.  What do you see?  Darkness.  Open.  What do  you see?  Light.  God gave us LIGHT so we can see!  Now take a deep breath.  Again.  God gave us AIR so we can breathe!”

Thursdays mornings are now my morning for preschool fun!  Justa, the pastor’s wife of our city church and my dear friend, asked me to help her teach Bible each week at her preschool, “Safina ya Nuhu” (Swahili for Noah’s Ark).

Teaching preschool age children is not my “cup of tea.”  (In fact I’m more of a “coffee” girl… anything but preschool!)  When Justa came to me in December and asked me to pray about helping her when the new school year begins (January here, not August) I agreed to pray… but that’s it.  Funny how prayer can work in strange ways!   The Lord began exposing my heart.  The real reason I did not want to commit to such thing was my wretched pride!   Well, I’m a missionary.  I did not come all the way over here to do something so menial as hang out with 5 & 6 year olds!  (Kids start 1st grade when they are 7 yrs old here.)   Surely my training and experience make me worthy of something greater than that!   

BLEH!  Do you ever just want to PUKE at the stinking, putrifying SIN of your own heart?  I teach our Sunday school teachers that children are important.  That we must teach them while they’re young.  We paint Christ’s words… “Suffer not the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not, for of such is the kingdom of heaven”… over our children’s classroom buildings.   And yet I am not willing to FOLLOW Christ’s example?!?  

After confessing and experiencing that AMAZING fountain of forgiveness, you will now find me playing with preschoolers every Thursday!

There is a fountain filled with blood
drawn from Emanuel’s veins
And sinners plunged beneath that flood
Lose all their guilty stains!




1 comment on "Preschool Fun"
  1. I find myself thinking this way so often..."I did not come all the way over here to sit around for 3 hours listening to people talk in kisukuma and treat me like a 2-year old!" What a great opportunity we have to learn the LOVE and MEEKNESS of Christ.

    ReplyDelete