trusting . resting . following

Crayons

November 8, 2011


Kids at Mayoka drawing things that God made (both pictures).

Mwalimu (teacher) Lisa brought back a little gift from the states for each of the children's classes (thanks to Fellowship Bible Church in Denver, CO)... CRAYONS!!  I don't know how many kids have never colored before, but I do know it is not a normal part of life.  It was such fun to watch their excited faces as they each were given one crayon and a half sheet of blank paper to draw on.  A few of the girls spent most of the time sitting and looking at their crayon.  I think they were at a total loss of what to draw, and they didn't want to mess up! 

The rule is you can trade crayons with those around you, but each child has to return a crayon at the end of class.  I was amazed at their obedience. :-)

One little girl at Igekemaja broke her crayon.  All she could do was start crying.  I don't know if she was really weeping for her crayon or afraid that she'd be walloped by the teacher.  I tried to comfort her, but she was only about 3 yrs old and didn't understand Swahili.
1 comment on "Crayons"
  1. That's so awesome! I know that the children were surprised and excited with them! :)

    ReplyDelete