trusting . resting . following

Clash!

October 15, 2011
 Sometimes I think I'm doing pretty well learning and adjusting to the culture here.  Other times I'm jarred by a clash of two very different cultures.

I remember one day driving through town with a car full of Tanzanian friends.  We drove by an "mzungu" (white person) who was jogging down the road.  It's pretty common to see 1 or 2 wazungu in town on any given day, but it's pretty rare to see one exercising.

My first thought was, "Whew, kudos to you buddy for braving the traffic and heat and dust!" 

One of my Tanzanian friends piped up, "Huyo ni mvivu."..."That guy is lazy." 

Lazy?  I couldn't wait to hear her explain herself!  Jogging is the very opposite of lazy in my book!!  She said, anyone who has so much time on his hands that he can just run around for fun must be lazy!  People work hard just to have enough food to eat here.  They don't understand what exercising is.  I was struck again by just how wealthy the west is.


Post Comment
Post a Comment