trusting . resting . following

Prayer Letter- July/Aug 2011

September 9, 2011

I’m back!  After 2 weeks visiting a friend in Germany, I made it to Tanzania, Aug 19th.  The first feelings of being disoriented and out of place are almost over.   My first month here I’ve set aside for getting my house in order (fresh coat of paint and new couch cushions and curtains… thanks to my very kind landlords!) as well as having some focused times of seeking the Lord’s face regarding this 2nd term.  Which has lead me to evaluate again:

Why children’s ministry in Tanzania?
As a missionary, I am first an ambassador for Christ, but more specifically I see my place here in Mwanza as an advocate for children.  Children are typically passed over as insignificant in the Tanzanian culture. Our village churches need to portray a different picture in their communities, the picture the Lord Jesus portrayed…

 Mar 10:13-16  And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them.  But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein. And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them.



Tanzanian Statistics
*According to a new UN report, Tanzania is the 5th fastest growing nation in the world!  It is projected to triple its population by 2050!  Not because of immigration (which counts for one third of the population growth of the USA, ranked 4th), but because so many children are being born.  (http://www.foxbusiness.com)
*In regards to percentages, Tanzania has twice as many children as the United States with over half of the population under the age of 20! 
                                      
                                                  Percent of Children in Total Population
Children ages… 
 0-14
0-19
USA
20%
27%
Tanzania
42%
54%
                                                                (http://www.census.gov)

We need to reach the children!  Children are the church of tomorrow.  As one pastor repeatedly told his congregation, “Reach the children and in 20 years you will have a solid church!” 

May we not neglect those who are near to the heart of God.  

For the children,
Lisa


Praises
*I’m safely home in Mwanza, Tanzania… with all my luggage!
*After mom’s radiation treatment, tests results came back that she is cancer free!
*These first few weeks I’ve had some wonderful times with the Lord.  He is refreshing my spirit and giving me an excitement and anticipation for this next term!

Prayer Requests
*That the Lord would develop in our Tanzanian pastors and Sunday school teachers a heart for children.
*A new car.  At the advice of friends, I sold my car last term.   Pray that the Lord will provide just the right car.  The funds I have, it’s the availability of a dependable, quality car here in Africa that’s the issue. 
* Language.  Swahili is coming back pretty well, but I start teaching children this Sunday which will be the real test.  Pray that the Lord would sharpen my mind, to remember what I’ve already learned and to quickly pick up new words; train my ears, to hear and understand as fast as the Tanzanians speak; and loosen my tongue, that the words would come out smoothly, especially when I pray.

Post Comment
Post a Comment